What to do if you see injured waterfowl - KTVQ.com | Q2 | Continuous News Coverage | Billings, MT

What to do if you see injured waterfowl

Posted: Apr 13, 2018 10:32 AM Updated:

Most Montana residents have had to slow down at one time or another for waterfowl crossing the road.

And every once in awhile, you may see an injured bird walking around the area.

While the sight of an injured goose has raised concerns, officials at Montana Fish, Wildlife and Parks said they must let the cycle of nature play out.

FWP spokesman Bruce Auchly said predatory animals in the area such as bald eagles and foxes rely on injured waterfowl as a food source.

Auchly noted, however, that waterfowl, which includes ducks, geese, and other large aquatic birds, are federally protected, and any abuse that you see can be reported.

Auchly said anyone who sees a crime involving waterfowl, such as someone intentionally trying to harm a goose or duck, should call the FWP hotline at 1-800-TIP-MONT.

While some places in Montana rehabilitate raptors such as eagles, Auchly said there is no facility in the state for injured waterfowl.

Powered by Frankly

© KTVQ.com 2018, KTVQ.com
All rights reserved
Privacy Policy, | Terms of Service, and Ad Choices

Can't find something?